423b2e
423b2e

8.19.2009

a few good books



Have you ever felt like smacking someone in the head ???

No, I'm not violent by nature (volatile, yes) nor do I throw books unless they are horribly written, waste of timers that have disappointed me to no end....... then I'll toss it across the room in the general direction of the trash can! I've read a lot this summer and I've listened to a lot of books on tape. The fare has been pretty lightweight: chick lit / beach reads. But there have been a few stand-outs:


1. I liked The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society because it was written in the form of letters being sent to and fro amongst the characters AND it depicted life on the Isle of Guernsey during and post its German occupation WWII.












2. I loved Mary Alice Monroe's Time is a River. The title comes from this quote by Jorge Luis Borges: "Time is the substance from which I am mad. Time is a river which carries me along. But I am the river." The book itself describes a woman's journey of healing from breast cancer and a broken marriage through fly fishing. I've always been fascinated by fly fishing, so it was a perfect match!







3. I had a dear friend who has been living in Qatar for the last 4 years visit me last week. She bought this book for me as a gift. You know you have a true friend when they buy you an excellent novel as a gift! Water for Elephants is a lovely read. A great story about circus life during Prohibition and the Depression. It has a great surprise ending ...... !!








4. My best beloved gave me this book to read. He told me that it reminded him of me and he knew I would love it. I LOVE THIS BOOK. The Gargoyle is definitely my number one book of the summer. IT'S A MUST READ. I want to tell you all about it, but it is unlike anything I have ever read. The writing is superb and the book design is elegant, down to the 'charred' edges of its pages.








So back to smacking heads. Nope. Don't do it. I've found the 'ear thump' to be much more effective in getting mama mule's point across ........... snickers!!

xxx
rdg

2 comments:

Gary Rith Pottery Blog said...

the fourth one? Everybody seems to be lovin' it!

GEWELS said...

Loved Water for Elephants too.

I'll have to add a few to my paperspine account for future reads.