423b2e
423b2e

9.28.2010

confessions of a shop girl




1. I work for a shop that sells 'locally handcrafted artisan' jewelry. I have since learned that some of our vendors are Malaysian. So I guess that means we fudge on the 'locally' bit ...

2. I have a shop girl mantra I repeat each day I work: I like my job. I like my job. I like my job. I'm hoping the 'cognitive behavioral therapy' will start working soon ...

3. My co-workers and managers are also women, so we keep a bag of chocolate bars stashed in the break room refrigerator for 'that time of the month' ... which is pretty much ANY time of the month!

4. My beloved calls me cynical because I practice putting on my shop girl 'smile' and saying things like, "Oh that looks lovely on you;" "This is so dainty and sweet;" "I love your ........(note piece of jewelry customer is already wearing); "This (piece of jewelry I'm showing) is my favorite!" - It helps to be prepared, I say.

5. Other than pierced ears, we do not sell any hardware for your alternative piercings. And no, we'd rather not see them ...

6. And though we are not rocket scientists, we manage an arcane catalog system of over 1000 pieces of jewelry, work 7+ hours at a stretch on our feet, are permanent part-timers with no company benefits, and endeavor to fulfill the maxim 'The Customer is Always Right" no matter how rude and obnoxious said customer is - with smiles on our faces!

7. And yes, we DO talk about you after you've left the store .... !

xxx

8 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

dang, 7 hours standing at a stretch???? This why people unionize isn't it?

Adullamite said...

Never believe a salesman, er..saleswoman.

soubriquet said...

I can envision a big red countdown clock at the back of the store, flashing a warning. "Low Chocolate!- Chocolate reserve runs out in: 00:05:39...38...37....

People would see it, freeze with terror, then flee, screaming.
The cleverest fugitives would scatter fragments of chocolate as they ran.

Anonymous said...

I guess the rule might be: always use links of disparate metals which are of equal hardness.
(this, working from experience?)
Sounds to me that this could be most interesting and involving.
I also guess it is, in fact, all about the trim!

goatman

red dirt girl said...

Gary! I think you're on to something - shop girl unions! I do get a 30 minute break, off the clock. They have to let us sit down but not on their dollar (or dime I should say). xxx

red dirt girl said...

Adullamite! Now who's the cynic in this barnyard ???! I do endeavor to be honest in my opinions. We do not work on sales commissions so I never feel pressured to 'press' the sale. With that said, sales are sales; both parties should enter with eyes wide open. xxx

red dirt girl said...

Soubry! Mwahaaaahaa. There are times when the customers begin to look like big chocolate bars on feet .... woe to those who enter! xxxx

red dirt girl said...

Goatman! Trim, indeed. One of the aspects of my job I like is that people who shop for jewelry are usually quite pleased with their purchases. It's a 'happy' activity. Metaphors abound wherever we choose to look, yes ?! xxx