423b2e
423b2e

12.06.2010

belated happy birthday wishes to Soubriquet !!


(on the holiday wish list)

Land’s End

by Weldon Kees

A day all blue and white, and we
Came out of woods to sand
And snow-capped waves. The sea
Rose with us as we walked, the land
Built dunes, a lighthouse, and a sky of gulls.

Here where I built my life ten years ago,
The day breaks gray and cold;
And brown surf, muddying the shore,
Deposits fish-heads, sewage, rusted tin.
Children and men break bottles on the stones.
Beyond the lighthouse, black against the sky,
Two gulls are circling where the woods begin.

XXXX! Happy Birthday, Soubry

3 comments:

soubriquet said...

Another year older?
Another year wiser?

Nope. I think i'm still stuck at a mental age of about twelve.

Except when I'm being a curmudgeon, which, as I'm sure you'll know, is very very rare.

Lighthouses! Yes, I'm kinda fascinated by lighthouses, I've no idea why. I always wanted to live in a lighthouse, with round rooms, high up in the tower, looking out over the sea. I've never really thought it through, like the drawbacks.... I mean, dragging a vac up to clean all those steps... Hauling everything up the steps...And where will I have a garden, if my house clings to a wave-ravaged rock?
There's no logic to it, nor to me.

In the poem, i liked the first verse, but then it all gets a bit grim and foreboding. Please send it back and have the poet reset it into a cleaner world where the sea breaks with white lace, on pellucid green-glass waves.
No fish-heads on my beach, but wave scoured driftwood, glass-ball net-floats, and a glint of spanish doubloon, in the sand stirred by your footprint.
xxxxxx!

red dirt girl said...

hmmm, i think 12 yr old boys are endlessly fascinating !! maybe you could use some of that grit and gears to rig up a pulley system in your lighthouse to avoid the stairs....

you're right, the second stanza reads much grimmer in the light of 'day' - my bad for working past my bedtime !!

happy happy wishes, again
xxx!!!

red dirt girl said...

ps. the lighthouse is red. just thought i should point that out ..... ;) xxx