423b2e
423b2e

9.21.2011

for the sisterhood: a fairy tale



"Once upon a time, in a land far away,
a beautiful, independent, self-assured princess
happened upon a frog as she sat contemplating ecological issues
on the shores of an unpolluted pond
in a verdant meadow near her castle.
The frog hopped into the princess's lap and said:
'Sweet Lady, I was once a handsome prince,
until an evil witch cast a spell on me.
One kiss from you, however, and I will turn back
into the dapper young prince that I am.
Then, my sweet, we can marry
and set up house in yon castle
where you can prepare my meals,
clean my clothes, bear my children,
and forever feel grateful and happy doing so.'
That night, dining on a repast of lightly sauteed frogs' legs,
The princess chuckled to herself and thought:
I don't f**king think so."


from I Don't Know How She Does It
by Allison Pearson

xxx

9 comments:

Adullamite said...

I can see why you liked that.

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Best thing to do with a frog.

soubriquet said...

That explains the frog on crutches outside the station.
He swore he'd get even with the bitch who did that to him. I gave him a few coins to help him buy a ticket towards her home. Oh. And I gave him a machete too. I think he said he needed one for chopping..... was it firewood? potatos? no, I can't quite remember, but as I left him seemed happy, honing the edge on a piece of stone, and singing a song about a princess......

red dirt girl said...

Adullamite ~

I believe in staying true to myself.

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Cosmo~

Ahhh, finally, a truly cosmopolitan man!

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Soubry~

I have one word for you: traitor.

xxx

Bullets said...

“There are two kinds of women: those who marry princes and those who marry frogs. The frogs never become princes, but it is an acknowledged fact that a prince may very well, in the course of an ordinary marrige, gradually, at first almost imperceptibly, turn into a frog. Happy the woman who after twenty-five years still wakes up beside the prince she fell in love with.”
— Stephen Mitchell

Bullets said...

oh, i like the poem very much!

red dirt girl said...

So cowboy, I guess you're suggesting that most men are frogs of one sort or another ....good thing the princess likes sauteed frog legs ... hee, hee! I'm glad you like the poem!

xxx