423b2e
423b2e

10.11.2011

Jane Austen meets The Bachelor


"She gave up pink drinks and took up tea long ago.
Chloe Parker, even after her divorce, still dreamed of a more romantic era. An age when a lady, in her gown and gloves, would, for sheer amusement, banter with a gentleman in his tight breeches and riding boots, smoldering in a corner of the drawing room."

And so opens the first chapter of my chick-lite read entitled, Definitely Not Mr. Darcy: Pride takes a hit in this Austen misadventure.

from the back cover:

"What Chloe thinks is a documentary turns out to be a reality dating show set in 1812. Eight women are competing to snare Mr. Wrightman, the heir to a gorgeous estate - and a one-hundred-thousand-dollar prize.... no cell phones, indoor plumbing, or deodorant to be found..."

This story reminded me of a couple of videos Mr. Soubriquet sent to me, long ago, that spoofed Jane Austen. Here's Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters:



I promise I do have some 'serious literature' in the current book rotation.
Really. I do.
Honest.


xxx

9 comments:

gz said...

:-)

Adullamite said...

Dear oh dear........

Gary's third pottery blog said...

!!!!

goatman said...

You don't need any stinkin "serious literature"!

red dirt girl said...

goatman ~ I feel properly chastised now.

So no to Madame Bovary by Gustav Flaubert ?? It says it is supposed to be a truer translation than others published before it ...

adullamite - i wanted to show you my feminine side...

gary and gz - xxx!ooo

xxx

soubriquet said...

Your feminine side?

And that includes suckered tentacles and a screaming Kraken?

Oh my.

Oh my...

red dirt girl said...

soubry~ yes, well, like most females, i tend to keep my suckered tentacles and my Kraken screams under wraps when a man is around ... so BEWARE.

XXX

Dave Renfro said...

I read Madame Bovary last year and enjoyed it. It's about a shopaholic adulteress who swallows arsenic after credit fraud:

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/alain_de_botton_a_kinder_gentler_philosophy_of_success.html

(10:40)

red dirt girl said...

Dave!

Got it. Thanks! (I listened to the whole talk. interesting.)

xxx