423b2e
423b2e

10.04.2011

the wonderfully surreal world of kirsten stingle


Collecting All the Tender Things

Our local ceramics studio, Mossrock Studio and Fine Arts Gallery, hosts an artist's opening once a month called First Fridays. This Friday, the wonderfully gracious Andy Sankowski, owner and ceramicist, (who spent much time conversing with Soubriquet) is introducing our bubbletown to the surreal world of ceramics artist Kirsten Stingle. Kirsten's pieces are mixed media works utilizing ceramics, found objects, discarded elements from the past (and expert welding) to tell stories about ourselves. In Kirsten's words:

"Storytelling connects us to one another and explains who we are. In an age in which the individual is often alienated, my work attempts to cut through the isolation by presenting common threads of the human experience....

While each piece is instantly approachable, closer inspection reveals a world in which the story and inner psyche of the character slowly emerges. The ultimate goal of my work is to create honest depictions of the human quest toward self-revelation and a contemporary identity."


Ms. Stingle will be opening her gallery show with a short lecture Friday evening, and unfortunately, I have to work Friday night. But the exhibit will continue through the month, and I hope to stop by Andy's studio to take a look. I'm so intrigued! Here is a sampling of Kirsten Stingle's work:

note: each piece stands approximately 5 feet tall or more ....

Memory's Song


Nourish


Domestic Bliss


Nice Kitty


Heart's Desires


My Own Limitations

xxx

7 comments:

The Painting Queen said...

WoW!

gz said...

thought provoking and, in the last piece sadness

Gary's third pottery blog said...

oh WOW, what a treat, what awesome sculpture!

Adullamite said...

Jings!

soubriquet said...

Hearts desire is my favourite of these. I like the vase-like body, which is very static, except in terms of rotational symmetry, it anchors her, yet bursting from her heart are the birds, the upper body is in movement, yearning, whilst the lower.... still, standing.

I wish I could see the exhibition, and I hope you'll report on it for us all!
XXX

goatman said...

I like "hearts desires", the way she does her hair changes, and the adjectival descriptions artists use to describe their work.

goatman said...

OOps, is that too mainstream?