423b2e
423b2e

12.25.2011

the morning after


I'm wrecked !

It's been an intense holiday season this year, and the week leading up to Christmas was the crucible! Having procrastinated horribly this year, a week ago today found me feverishly ordering Christmas presents for the kids via the Intertent. Yep. I paid the outrageous shipping fees for expedited shipping and even MORE outrageous fees for gift packaging. My oldest mulette arrived home from college and promptly threw the family into Christmas Cheer: (using mom's credit card) he and his girlfriend went to Wal-mart and purchased a Christmas tree and Yuletide trimmings for the house. On the one day I had off this past week, Monday, we spent time decorating the tree and home. Finally, Christmas arrived.

On the work front, the last shopping weekend and week before Christmas was met with hoards of Christmas shoppers. Lines formed outside our store an hour before we opened EACH DAY and the stream did not stop until we closed the doors at 10pm. (We work extended hours during the Holiday season 8am to 10pm). On Friday we had a record breaking sales day of over $100,000 !! The economy might be struggling, but people are still buying jewelry for Christmas. I worked 8 hours on Friday, closing the store and not leaving until well past 10:30pm. Only to wake up at 6am Saturday, Christmas Eve, to open the store by 8am. Business was steady on Christmas Eve, the majority of shoppers being MALE. Half of our workstaff has some sort of sickness, including yours truly, the Mule. (Thank you Adullamite for blessing me with your illness. A true indication of my unrepentant soul :)

Christmas Eve was wet and dreary with temps in the 40's (cold for us southerners) and steady rain. Home by 5pm with the expedited packages awaiting me to open. Time well spent Skyping my sweetheart, wishing him a very Merry Christmas. Late night up, wrapping of last minute gifts and stuffing Christmas stockings. I no sooner had fallen asleep when the kids busted into my bedroom to wake me for present openings!! Why is it the unwrapping always takes less time than the wrapping ??? For mom, a surprise! A new uber sleek vacuum cleaner (as I had mused on Christmas tree day that I really could use a decent cleaner to sweep up all the dog hair in the house!) My morning has been spent picking up all the wrappings and packaging, bagging up all for trash, the washing of the dishes, and general tidying. Eldest made a late breakfast of pancakes. We plan to grill steaks for dinner tonight.... fingers crossed as it's still cold and dreary and lightly raining.

I'm back in bed, slowly loosing my voice (second time this fall) and facing an early morning opening of the store tomorrow. Life goes on no matter what time of year it is. And our after-Christmas shoppers are just as demanding as before: returns, exchanges, and SOLDERING charms onto their charm bracelets. By the end of this coming week, we will have taken in close to 1000 charm bracelets to be soldered (if past years are any indication.)

All appear to be happy with their new gifties. The dogs received a Christmas bath - hahaha. And kids will leave to go to their dad's house for the second half of their winter break. Christmas all over again! Meantime, I will be providing excellent customer service with a smile, dammit, no matter how shattered I am feeling. And donning my new cool slipper booties, I shall be happily vacuuming the house on my day off ........ Righhhtt .....!

Here's hoping your Christmas was full and merry. And if you must venture out to the shoppes, please remember a kind smile or word for the overworked, exhausted, holidayed-out shoppe girl who is assisting you. She will deeply appreciate the gesture.

xxx


13 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Thank you. Hope they send in the renovators rather than the demolition team and that you are refurbished and refreshed for the onslaught of 2012.

red dirt girl said...

Hi Cosmo,
I'm laughing at your comment. At my age one wonders which would be cheaper: a full on demolition and start over fresh or renovation (which apparently always has unsuspected hidden costs.) Thank you for the well wishes and may 2012 be the best ever yet for you and yours.

xxx

Anonymous said...

Well, I hope you get to cash some big commission checks, if nothing else. I have an equal but opposite problem; I can't get any overtime to save myself! No matter, though, Santa has a credit card. We didn't go nuts on each other but DMG Jr. scored big time!

Glad you got to steal some time with all the mulettes. You're tops!

~Dave

Anonymous said...

PS: I have vacuum news as well, but I'm saving it. Might be worth a whole blog post! ~Dave

red dirt girl said...

Hi Dave!

Fortunately we don't work on commission at our store. It's good in that we aren't all vultures hovering over possible buyers or trying to out-do one another.

Happy to hear your holidays were good and not breaking the bank! I hear you about DMG jr. - I definitely overspent on the mulettes. Well, it only happens once a year, she rationalizes to herself...

Now you have me all curious about your vacuum news !!

You're the best Dave. Happy New Year to you and yours.
xxx

Adullamite said...

You still look good in spite of all that work and forced smiling!

red dirt girl said...

Adullamite ~ I might look good on the outside, but what to do with this hacking cough you've cursed me with ??? I had a coughing fit today in front of a customer, and she discretely left me a cough drop on the counter. I was amused and bemused. (But the drop really did help quell the fit.)

xxx

Adullamite said...

Ah yes, the cough is incurable!

bulletholes said...

Merry christmas Red!

The Bears. said...

Okay, Goldilocks, break's over, get back to work and clean this place up!

red dirt girl said...

Adullamite ~ just remember the golden rule: do unto others as you would have them do unto you!

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Merry Christmas, cowboy!
and a Happy New Year

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Mr. Bear,

First I must try all the porridge ...

xxx