423b2e
423b2e

12.08.2011

ode to a jack - an rdg poem




My stomach aches, and a cool drink of water numbs the pains
My sense of hedonistic feasting on toast and porridge
Or, empty-bellied, napping amidst the opiate of poppy-hued linens
Three minutes past one, and forgetfulness keeps me dangling:
'Tis not because I'm unhappy that you are happy,
But your happiness makes my happiness almost unbearably happy.
That thou, fleet-hoofed martian of the fields,
In some dulcet trick
Of stacked hay golden, and shadows fled,
Singest of the mule days of summer with ease.

O for a sip of that rare vintage! It has been
Cool'd eons ago in the depths of assam earth,
Tasting of passion-fruit, and lemon cheesecake,
Scrabble, and Shaun the Sheep - what mirth!
O for a potter's pitcher full of thy sunny smiles!
Full of the true, thy Three Graces,
With gurgling bubbles and barking spiders,
And rich ale-stained mouth;
That I might slurp, and slip this earth, unseen,
And with thee, my jack, fade away unto the sea.

(preferably with a life jacket for me)


my sincerest gratitude and most humble of apologies
to John Keats
whose ode I have thus, magnificently mangled.

xxx

6 comments:

Adullamite said...

Magnificently mangled!

red dirt girl said...

Adullamite ~ big ((HUGS)) to you!

xxx

soubriquet said...

The Crimson Mangler Strikes Anew!

"Fleet hoofed martian of the fields"? What planet are you on?

"But stay;
The donkey scrapeth ruin'd earth,
Nor pauseth he in bray,
'til night's star-burdened sky alight
With saucer's wobbly wake.
My mission here on earth is done,
The Mule, aloft, I take"

soubriquet said...

XXXXX!

red dirt girl said...

Ahhh Soubry ~ See - you ARE a man with a poetic soul. Wonderfully done.

XXXXX

red dirt girl said...

As for planet - god only knows !! I never dated this poem, so I can't remember when it was writ. I can only guess by its personal message ... You know I tend to live with one hoof in this world and one hoof out !!

xxx