423b2e
423b2e

1.18.2012

he's a magic man, Mama


Yep. This one is for my beloved. Last week he made me sit through 19 minutes of Captain Beefheart, here. Honestly, I had to walk away at the 9 minute mark. He says I have crap taste in music, but he loves me anyway. Without his utter and unerring honesty tethering me to this earth, I'd just be another Red Balloon floating in the clouds of denial. Payback time, baby!

I LOVE Heart !! These two Canadian sisters were my first rock girl idols. I wanted to be Ann or Nancy - it didn't matter which one. Magic Man was the theme song for the summer of 1976. Me, a bespectacled gawky girl on the cusp of adolescence, hanging out with my step-step cousin Tina from Detroit.

Tina was a full-blown voluptuous 16 year-old bad girl: daisy duke shorts, those stretchy tube tops of the '70's (yeah, you boys know what I mean) loads of mascara and bleach blonde hair, sneaking a pack of cigarettes out of the house. I don't know how Tina did it, but she managed to attract every bad boy in our neighborhood. The ones who captured Tina's fancy always had the souped-up car, the long 70's hair, a six-pack of beer and a cool as you please offer to give her a lift. I'm sure it meant: without the little girl cousin by your side.

Tina would toss her hair, give a throaty laugh and a sideways glance at me as she stubbed her cigarette out with the toe of her sandal. So I'd sit and wait on the curb, tossing little pebbles, pretending like I didn't care I was being left behind. Tina would hop in the car and tell me she'd be back in a minute or two. And off they'd go: the bad boy with the bad girl. Damn, I envied Tina. I didn't worship her like I worshiped Heart. I just wanted to figure out her allure and copy it. I wanted to be a bad girl.

You've got to watch at least the first 5 minutes of this video to soak in the cool vibe of the seventies: the hair! the clothes! OMG - MAN NIPS on the dude with the cut out leather vest ... there's two guitar solos and YES a DRUM SOLO. No concert can be complete without a drum solo. I think my mom had a necklace just like the one the drummer is wearing. Sigh. It takes me back.

This one is for you, babe! xxxxx




Cold, late night so long ago
When I was not so strong you know
A pretty man came to me
I never seen eyes so blue
You know, I could not run away it seemed
We'd seen each other in a dream
Seemed like he knew me ... he looked right through me

"Come on home, girl" he said with a smile
"you don't have to love me yet, let's get high awhile
But try to understand ... try to understand
Try, try, try to understand ... I'm a magic man"

Winter nights we sang in tune
Played inside the months of moon
"Never think never ... let this spell last forever"
Well, summer lover passed to fall
Tried to realize it all
Mama says she's worried ... growing up in a hurry

"Come on home, girl" Mama cried on the phone
"Too soon to lose my baby yet, my girl should be at home"
But try to understand ... try to understand
Try, try, try to understand ... he's a magic man, Mama ... ah ... he's a magic man

"Come on home, girl" he said with a smile
"I cast my spell of love on you, a woman from a child"
But try to understand ... try to understand ...
Oh ... oh... try, try, try to understand ...
He's a magic man ...oh ...he's got the magic hands

(solos) OoooOooo's over top

"Come on home, girl" he said with a smile
"You don't have to love me yet, let's get high awhile"
But try to understand ... try to understand
Try, try, try to understand ...he's a magic man ...yeah ... oh ...


ohhhh my, xxx

19 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

Great!

I wonder why that still seems so cool. I think that at a certain time of your life, music seems to make sense of everything you don't really know yet.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

TRY TRY to understand... oh yes, I remember those tunes so well too :)

Adullamite said...

Never heard of them, but my hair was once like that!

soubriquet said...

Dare I say what I really think?

Oh well. I'll risk the backlash...
"Rock Lite™"
It's like rock as envisaged by the Reader's Digest Corporation.. Rock with the energy taken out. Rock on Valium.

And that synthesizer! Ha! my socks laughed themselves off.

Now I'll have to post a counterblast.

soubriquet said...

What? Abundant?

red dirt girl said...

Hi Jenny! I think you are absolutely right. In the midst of raging adolescence, music seems to soothe the savage breast.
Welcome to the gate!

xxx

red dirt girl said...

atta boy, Gary! Love the Godzilla video.
xxx

red dirt girl said...

Which one? thanks for listening !
xxx

red dirt girl said...

Bwaaaaahaaaaaaa!
I left a message at Gary's post saying I'd blogged some music for you that you will really hate. Surprised I am not.

As for rock on Valium, what do you expect ??? I was 12 (twelve) years old at the time!! I think Mama should have been worried about Tina's influence on me.

I await your counterblast eagerly. Let's hope it is at least within the 20th century ....

xxx

ps. thanks for the honesty.

goatman said...

We were influenced and remember those tunes we heard-- muchly on the radio, lite or not. Although I donot remember anyone listening to the Bach at the time (unless it was "Switched on Bach", digital.)

So leave us hanging why don't you? Whatever happened to Tina??

red dirt girl said...

Hi goatman!
I just had that exact same conversation with my daughter: for us 'girls', music always takes us back to the time and place when we first heard it. And, yes, it depended upon which radio station you were listening to at the time.

Tina ... oh boy. Tina's story is a sad one and probably a product of the times. Pregnant teenager, high school dropout. Her parents (my aunt and uncle) took the baby in and raised her. Tina disappeared into the void of alcoholism and drug addiction. She'd pop up 5 years later, visit her parents, attempt to dry out, then ... she'd slide back into the void again. I'm not sure where she is now / if she's even alive. Her mom divorced my uncle eventually and you know, people lose touch. I hope she made it ... she was an AWESOME bad girl!

xxx

Anonymous said...

Watch this and tell me who's hotter, Ann or Nancy? Think before you answer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W52PP3lYlUs

Ann got soul!

~Dave

red dirt girl said...

Wow! that was gorgeous Dave - thanks for the link! They are both hot in my book and they still ROCK!
xxx

goatman said...

Not to belabor the point, but I think we can place ourselves in time and place by the tunes. Can you give an example? Well, yes I can : Led Zepp echoing off of the granite rocks of the Taos canyon at full blast from a VW with speakers in the open doors, 1970 --circa June. Don't get me started . . .

So your Tina didn't work out. I knew many like her and I am not sure they could take on life ,with it's complications and defeats, with any kind of decent survival mechanisms.

red dirt girl said...

Led Zepp in the Taos canyon ... COOL!
xxx

bulletholes said...

I don’t like this song. It reminds me of Gail.
God, she was foxy, and really way out of my league.
I had been chasing Gail for I don’t know how long. At last we were going to a party together, and on the ride over to the party we made out like crazy in the backseat of Johns car, and we were hot like you wouldn’t believe, and she was whispering in my ear all the things we were going to do, and she had these blue Valiums that had us going and we got to the party, and had a drink, and danced a little and this song, Magic Man came on, and Gail was looking at me, no, she was looking through me and past me and she started licking her lips and I turned around and there was this guy about 8 years older than me, wearing about 20 pounds of silver and turquoise, and he had this full mustache, and this glorious black curly hair, he looked like the singer from 3 Dog Night, only cooler, and Gail moaned and looked at me and said she had to have this guy and that she would make it up to me someday, and off she went.
Magic Man. He disappeared Gail allright.
Did she ever make it up to me?
I wish I could say that’s another story.

red dirt girl said...

That's a great story, cowboy. Poor you. Gail missed out on a great thing by ditching you for the older guy. Just remember that! Which leads us right back to the point of music - it does become a sort of soundtrack to our lives, and certain songs trigger certain memories. Some more than others.

So .... if I start naming random songs from the seventies on up, will it trigger more great stories in you like this one??

;)
xxx

bulletholes said...

Yes, it likely would Red.

red dirt girl said...

okay .... how about Led Zepp's Stairway to Heaven ??

xxx