423b2e
423b2e

3.07.2012

Kony 2012


Finally, social networking for a cause I believe in!

I've not been a fan of social networking media. I suppose I'm protective of blogs and blogging because I've seen so many great bloggers close up shop here and re-open on Facebook. My children all have Facebook accounts. They have pinterest accounts, twitter feeds, maybe even a tumblr that I'm not aware of .... And I've shrugged my shoulders and said, 'Ok. What's good for your generation isn't necessarily what's good for me.' But tonight both my daughter and my youngest son led me to this video, this cause, this action ... yes, from Facebook. First, watch the video. If it loads slowly for you, you might want to go straight to Vimeo and watch it there.



Now ..... follow your gut. You've already done more than I could ever ask of you, my blogging friends, just by watching the video. The next step is yours. If you click on the banner in my sidebar, it will take you to the Kony 2012 website. Links from there can take you to the Invisible Children website and blog.

Talk about technology: the image was clipped from a Facebook page by my daughter using her iPhone. She then uploaded it to her Pinterest page and emailed me the image simultaneously. I'm posting it here for anyone else who wants to use it. Or you can simply do a google image search for Kony 2012 and select whatever image you like.

Now I'm going to go and pencil in "Cover the Night" April 20, 2012, on my calendar. I understand that there is already a local group formed here in my area. I want to see the power of one voice in action.



xxx

6 comments:

soubriquet said...

I watched it. Sad stuff. Wouldn't it be nice if all the politicians would agree to work together against Kony, and the myriads like him.

But the truth is that around the world, all over the place, there are Konys.
And some of them are funded by our governments.

The world has stood back so many times, as people hack their erstwhile neighbours into pieces.

Where were we when Hutus hacked their Tutsi neighbours to death by the thousand, with machetes?

Kony's just one of many in Africa.
And there's not enough oil at risk to make our governments interested.

goatman said...

Whatever happened to Idi Amin and responsibility for his original rape of Uganda?

Unfortunately, I don't know what hitting up Rush Limbaugh will do to help the situation. I guess he could insult Mr Kony on air.

I am afraid that evil and opportunism will always exist where the very poor and defenseless congregate and a bleak future is the prospect. Look at the illegal drug system's use of ghetto (and now even suburban) blacks and chicanos to distribute its wares. Child armys there, dealing death. But the "Konys" are many and not likely to be showcased easily.

soubriquet said...

http://battleland.blogs.time.com/2011/10/16/u-s-to-go-after-kony-and-the-lra/

soubriquet said...

http://globalspin.blogs.time.com/2012/03/08/why-you-should-feel-awkward-about-the-kony2012-video/#ixzz1oW6JzBum

red dirt girl said...

First, I just want to thank both of you for watching the video. That was the aim of this post, and I feared no one would bother. I did follow both of your links, Soub. I have mixed feelings on it all. Yes, the cherubic toddler pointing to a picture of the 'bad man' and a sobbing Jacob as he tries to speak about the death of his brother are emotional tuggers - especially to this mother's heart.

But what fascinates me about this particular video is its, for lack of a better word, manipulation of social media networks and the internet. For a cause I think we all can agree is just. I understand that we apathetic Americans know less than nothing about the politics of the region, its history, its tragedies and all the special behind the scenes actions taken to try and stop Kony (and others like him). But isn't it true: because of the internet and social networks, the world IS a smaller place. Maybe we CAN unite and bring a criminal to justice.

All of my children are GALVANIZED into action by this. Their friends are excited. Kids are talking about 3rd world politics and countries instead of what cool vacations they are taking for their spring breaks this year.

And yes it WOULD BE great if this campaign becomes the start of many like it aimed at stopping the many despots of the world .... shedding light on the plight of the poor and defenseless ....!

I agree, goatman, we have our own tragic stories right here in backyard America. So why not follow the model of Invisible Children and start a campaign for change? I mean, really, why can't we do this? why DON'T we do this?? why HAVEN'T we tried to do this ???

And the thing that excites me the most is the feeling or idea that my one voice might make a difference in a life lived far far away from mine. It's grassroots lobbying with a technological edge.

There will always be naysayers and critics. There will always be political spin doctors. For me the bottom line is that yes, I want evil stopped. And we have to start somewhere. And what is a more poignant cause than that of the plight of children? I'm realistic enough to know that evil will always exist as long as mankind exists on this planet. But I want MY children to grow up knowing that united, people can create incredible positive change in this world. And that is what I think this video and the Invisible Children NGO is attempting to achieve.

Call me naive.
I've signed the petition.
I don't think I'll purchase the action kit. But I will definitely take my 11 year old out during Cover the Night and let him participate. My two oldest are already committed to action.

xxx

Anonymous said...

I gave this one a look and also showed it to my wife. I'm not confident that having a hundred special forces troops in Uganda for a longer time will bring about the peaceful arrest of this guy, but I like their approach nonetheless. I'm not sure I have any money to throw at this but I might could throw up a few posters. A buddy of mine has a silk screen machine. I'm thinking of having him make me a Kony race shirt. That would be pretty cool!

You're tops, mule friend!

~Dave