423b2e
423b2e

4.25.2012

travels with my yorkshireman

Soub and I did manage to do quite a few fun things together despite his week off due to illness and my VERY limited amount of vacation time.  On an open Tuesday we traveled down to Houston to visit the John C. Freeman Weather Museum (as quirky as it sounds) and then on to The Houston Museum of Natural Science, one of my all time favorite museums to visit.  At the HMNS we toured the New Terra Cotta Warriors Exhibit.  Soub first saw this exhibit in, ummmm... 198?,  in Stockholm, Sweden.  This particular exhibit was my first time to view the incredible terra cotta figures.  What made it extra special was having my own personal 'tour guide' who explained the nuances of design, technique, creation all from the perspective of an experienced potter.  (Should I call him a ceramicist ???)  The horse was life-size - an incredible piece.  The smaller figures were found in a later tomb.  They were fascinating because each had a different face - even one of a woman!  Soub pointed out the individual thumb and finger marks; pointed out the detail work on the horse's mane; explained which pieces would have been molded and which would have been individually detailed.  I found it all to be quite incredible, especially the fact that you can 'see the maker's mark' in each piece.  Indeed pottery lasts and speaks through the centuries!

However ........ the HIGHLIGHT of our evening was without doubt the new Led Zeppelin full-dome digital light show in the Burke Baker Planetarium:

"Through the planetarium’s full-dome Digistar system, experience a variety of immersive scenery and movement, from mood-provoking abstract art to theme-based imagery to transportive effects.

The powerful surround imagery and surround sound will be choreographed to some of Led Zeppelin’s biggest hits like “Black Dog,” “Whole Lotta Love,” “Immigrant Song,” “Kashmir,” “Ramble On,” and “Stairway to Heaven.”

We bought tickets for the full 'concert' version which lasted 60 minutes (much too short in my opinion!!)  The graphics were uber cool and the sound was amazing.  The Full Playlist included:

In The Evening - In Through the Out Door
Black Dog
Over The Hills and Far Away
Whole Lotta Love
Immigrant Song
Bron-Yr-Aur
Kashmir
Bonzo’s Montreux
D'Yer Mak’er
Stairway to Heaven
Ramble On

Encore:
Rock 'N Roll - Led Zeppelin IV

I'm not sure who produced the Led Zepp concert, but it has been playing in packed planetariums all over the US.  Here is just a small clip of what we experienced:


Okay, so I want to take this opportune moment to retract my previous grumblings about Soub's musical taste.  In the past I have tended to grouse about the 'generational gap' between his and my musical tastes.  Usually I do this grousing on his blog.  BUT ...... I walked in to the Led Zepp show thinking, "Ok, I know 'Stairway to Heaven'," but walked out realizing that I have heard every song played at least once before in my life and LOVE LED ZEPP!  In actuality many of the bands Soub loves including this one were definitely part of the 'soundtrack of my youth' - just during a time in which I was listening but not yet into knowing the who what when where why of a song.  Which is a nice way of saying that I was probably around 9 or 10 years old at the time .... :)

I enjoyed the show so much that I want to go back and take my kids with me.  Currently Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' is playing.  I think I'll wait for Led Zepp to return.  And I know I'll definitely enjoy the memories  (.... cuddling with my beloved in the back row of a darkened planetarium and listening to that oh so throbbing drum beat .... ;)

xxx

22 comments:

gz said...

glad you had some marvellous days out together

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Good. Good. And good.

bulletholes said...

Thats better than this, although this cracks me up"

bulletholes said...

I went and saw a Zep tribute band a while back. i was at a good rocking age back inn the early 70's, but its easy to underestimate how many really great songs they put out back then. They had their own way, for sure.

soubriquet said...

Oh great, they all think I'm a cradle-snatcher now.
But one with excellent taste in music!

Ha. That Red Dirt Girl, she's just jealous of my great taste in music.

goatman said...

The Pink Floyd presentation should be interesting; a little more mellow I suspect.

soubriquet said...

On a more serious note, it was all very interesting, the Weather Museum, well, you have to go there, small, friendly, informative, and a little ramshackle. A few gadgets... like the tornado machine, weren't working, but fascinating information on hurricanes past, and my favourite piece of information...
The longest period of time recorded below freezing point in Houston's weather history? 22 hours!

The main event, though, the Houston Museum of Natural Science, that's a far slicker place. With a Foucalt Pendulum slowly oscillating. We'd booked for the Terracotta Warriors, and though I'd seen them before (january '85, Ostasiatiska Museet, Stockholm), it was amazing to see these life-sized terracotta figures. What a feat! If I could make just one, I'd be pretty proud of myself, yet there are hundreds, life sized horses too. Incredible workmanship.
Whilst looking at the other items on display, we overheard a chinese man reading the inscription on a gold box, to his daughter. I asked him if he could readily understand it, and he replied that the pictographic language is universally readable, even if some of its referents have changed.
Really, really worth the visit.

Then Led Zepp at the planetarium, the 3d show can't really be imagined by watching a video, it seems as if you're immersed in it, moving and swooping with the graphics, which were varied and spectacular. Wow!

soubriquet said...

And: Red Dirt Girl HATES You-Tube, and NEVER embeds video.... Has Led Zeppelin mellowed her? Or is it something else?

Anonymous said...

I've been to HMNS twice and it is awesome! I like the IMAX theater because Northwest Arkansas doesn't have one. Mom likes the butterfly observatory because Houston doesn't have one (We do have one here--it's called the Fayetteville Lake Trail). I'll have to check out the weather museum one of these days. Here's another must-see for kids of all ages:

http://www.cmhouston.org/

Donald and I had a blast there!

~Dave

red dirt girl said...

Cowboy - your video - Bwahaahaaahaa! The comments were even better. Led Zepp still rocks.

xxx

red dirt girl said...

gz ~ thank you, and we did! too short and too few, but that is the way of humanity - always longing for more.

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Cosmo ~ it was better than good, let me tell you .....!

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Soub - you ARE a cradle snatcher as I am such a Babe haaaahaaa! Ummm... marginally good taste in music. Some things you post I wonder "Who ever listened to this ???" Obviously one person did .....xxxxx

red dirt girl said...

Hey! I've lifted the no Youtube ban here at the gate. Just scroll through some older posts ... there are one or two in there. Aren't there?? As for the mellowing, let's just say I'm operating on extra endorphins at the moment ...

xxxxx

red dirt girl said...

goatman ~ ok some Pink Floyd is all right .... but I keep listening to Dark Side of the Moon and .. it isn't working for me like Led Zepp.

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Hi Dave!

Oh yes, the IMAX is great! I think they are showing a film on the aurora borealis right now that I want to see. You really need DAYS to do the HMNS justice. All good reasons to go back again.

I took my kids to the children's museum of houston eons ago ... I remember we all had a good time there.

xxx

Adullamite said...

Soub knows about Led on roofs....

red dirt girl said...

Adullamite you crack me up sometimes :) xxx

goatman said...

There is a better Pink Floyd -- one called "Meddle" , their first I think.
And their best in my tiny book.

Relax Max said...

How wonderful you two had a chance to do some really cool things together besides doctor's visits. I was afraid his trip would be ruined. Not at all, I see.

red dirt girl said...

I will take your advice goatman and look for PF Meddle on youtube ...!

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Hi Max!

We did have some great moments together despite the doctor visits and job demands. I felt bad for Soub, though, it wasn't exactly a fantasy vacation. More of an immersion experience in the real life of RDG :)

xxx