423b2e
423b2e

5.26.2012

collage studios by gail rieke


Soubriquet posted a lovely photograph of a wall of portmanteaux for me today HERE.  I loved the image so much, I went to steal it - but it wouldn't embiggen for me.  So, naturally I did an image search on google and FOUND THESE!!  Apparently these are actual room installations of artist Gail Rieke's studio in Santa Fe, New Mexico.  One day I am going to take Soubriquet to Santa Fe.  He will love the landscape, the architecture, some of the art .... and probably dryly comment on the New Age spiritualism of the town.  It once was a very lovely (and relatively inexpensive) place long long ago until Californians began invading the town in droves.  And yes, I can say that as I was (for a brief period of lunacy) a Los Angelesian.  Ummm ... I've gotten off track a bit here.  What I want to share are these interesting 'collage' rooms Gail has created:

Suitcase Wall

Collage Studio First Room

Collage Studio Detail

Printer's Cabinet

Collage Studio Second Room

Gail's portfolio is quite varied and includes collage, assemblage, journals, photographs and digital prints.  Check out her website:  Gail Rieke Collage Studios.

xxx

5 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Love the suitcase wall bestest.

red dirt girl said...

Yes the suitcase wall rocks, but I'm quite intrigued with the printer's cabinet .... I wonder if she's arranged all the drawers in a similar fashion ??

xxx

goatman said...

That suitcase wall is a good place to hide stuff!

I was working, as inspired, on the opposite extreme of neatness.
Working, working . . .

red dirt girl said...

Ha Goatman!

I know exactly what you mean. I love that suitcase wall ... but once you hide stuff in it, how would you ever find it again ??? Labels? Kind of ruins the charm ....

xxx

goatman said...

No, by memory. I can tell you where every tool, roll of tape, can of paint (by color), or piece of sandpaper is considering one of three places -- buildings -- where I keep stuff.
You just know . . .