423b2e
423b2e

6.12.2012

anna akhmatova


Portrait of Anna Akhmatova by artist Nathan Altman

 Broad and yellow is the evening light,

Tender the April coolness.

You are so many years late,

Nevertheless I am glad you came.

Sit here closer to me

And look on joyfully:

Here is a blue composition book---

With the poems of my childhood.



Forgive me that I ignored the sun

And that I lived in sorrow.

Forgive, forgive and I

Mistook too many others for you.


~ by Anna Akhmatova











xxx

6 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

It has an expectant contentment about it...

Relax Max said...

I like that Anna had the pluck to take photo in profile. The poem was good too.

Lin said...

I like that. :)

red dirt girl said...

Cosmo - yes, expectant is a good word for Anna. I suppose I should post a little of her 'story' which is full of men imprisoned, her waiting and being blacklisted for most of her life. The amazing bit is that she never left Russia, never chose an exiled life over the one she lived.

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Hi Max!

Doesn't she have the BEST PROFILE!! I love her nose. Glad you enjoyed the poem though I know it isn't quite your 'comfort zone.' Thanks for stopping by!

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Hi Lin!

The poem was referenced in a book and movie both called "Fugitive Pieces." The movie is lovely, but the book was written by a Canadian poet, Anne Michaels, and now I'm dying to read it because I know the language of the book will be full of metaphor and imagery ....

Back to the reference - in the movie the protagonist Jakob Beer, later in his life, meets and falls in love with Michela, a Spanish/Russian woman who is 25 years his junior. He quotes the lines: 'You are so many years late, But I am glad you came.'

It is a poignant moment.

I highly recommend the movie and even more so the book!

xxx