423b2e
423b2e

7.29.2012

future songs, #1



"As I was descending the stairs of the garage, on my way to work this morning, I passed by a woman ascending with the hesitancy of someone being careful of their steps. I smiled Good Morning to her, and she said to me, “It’s easier on the way down.”
It had a weight to it that followed me to the ground floor. The words reminded me of the relation of potential to kinetic, of the ease of falling into temptation, of the way decline follows turning away from challenge, how growth is hard. That’s a lot for a song to hold, all there already in the refrain."

from Le Voyageur

xxx

6 comments:

Adullamite said...

But what about us already at the bottom....?

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Very thoughtful piece. I must confess I often say the same thing to people I meet on stairs but with nowhere near the gravitas.

red dirt girl said...

Adullamite ~ well i'm right there with you, so you've good company. How about we leave this stairwell and go find some sunshine, shall we?

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Hi Cosmo ~ I've been going back to this piece so frequently that I finally decided to post it so I'd have a copy of my own. It IS thoughtful and always sends me off a-ponderin' down different paths.

xxx

goatman said...

Potential to kinetic is a trade-off. I am still trying to work this into the refrain.
But give me time . . .

red dirt girl said...

goatman - you've set yourself some challenging tasks ....poetic snakes in tree roots and song writing ...

i look forward to reading the results.

xxx