423b2e
423b2e

7.18.2012

half life

   
Robert Van Vranken 2008

We walk through half of our life
as if it were a fever dream

barely touching ground

our eyes half open
our heart half closed.

Not half knowing who we are
we watch the ghost of us drift
from room to room
through friends and lovers
never quite as real as advertised.

Not saying half we mean
or meaning half we say
we dream ourselves ...

excerpt from 'half life'
~ by Stephen Levine from Breaking the Drought

xxx 

Coda:
I like this piece that I've 'clipped' because it reminds me to not be too complacent .... my days tend to have a certain routine / rhythm to them - work has its predictable parameters; kids coming and going; feed the dogs; feed the kids; pick up the dry cleaning; ..... in between the lines I am angsting over something, always, as it is my nature inherent. I've always admired the practice of being in the moment though I find it quite difficult to achieve. And that is what I believe Levine is saying here - don't live life halfway - pour your body and soul into it.
xxx

8 comments:

gz said...

xxx

red dirt girl said...

gz - xxx!

J Cosmo Newbery said...

He's not half right!

red dirt girl said...

Hmmmm....

xxx

goatman said...

Not too upbeat a fellow is he?
Would be fun at a wake . . .

red dirt girl said...

I probably did him an injustice by not posting the ending of the poem. So I will do it here:

"Not saying half we mean
or meaning half we say
we dream ourselves
from birth to birth
seeking the true self.

Until the fever breaks
and the heart can not abide
a moment longer
as the rest of us awakens,
summoned from the dream,
not half caring for anything but love."



The beauty we love is posting quite a bit of Levine's work from Breaking the Drought at the moment ... the writing tends towards the mystical; meditative pieces ....

xxx

red dirt girl said...

I like this piece that I've 'clipped' because it reminds me to not be too complacent .... my days tend to have a certain routine / rhythm to them - work has its predictable parameters; kids coming and going; feed the dogs; feed the kids; pick up the dry cleaning; ..... in between the lines I am angsting over something, always, as it is my nature inherent.

I've always admired the practice of being in the moment though I find it quite difficult to achieve. And that is what I believe Levine is saying here - don't live life halfway - pour your body and soul into it.

xxx

goatman said...

Indeed. Living in the moment is difficult if you have to plan dinner.

I am reminded of:
"Holding on to your hopes doesn't
keep you warm at night"
Ram Dass

Which I interpret to mean that one must hope, must plan, must look ahead, or you may oneday have to look to others for your sustenance and warmth. Or freeze!