423b2e
423b2e

7.26.2012

the what inspires me series ....


My teenage daughter watched Isabel Allende's TED talk in her Spanish class last year.  She told me it was excellent and I should take a look.  Well, it's taken me some months to do, but she was 100% right!  It helps that I already love Allende's novels and have read several over the years.  I also love the sub-genre of magical realism in literature - a genre much perfected by Latin American writers.  But magical realism and literature are not the topics of Allende's TED talk - she gets much more personal and speaks of living life with passion.  No, not erotic passion, but passion that changes the world around you.  

I know most of my readers will pass over the video and that's okay.  But you're going to miss a really great story about Sophia Loren ..... !!

Isabel Allende on passion:



"Heart is what drives us and determines our fate.  That is what I need for my characters in my books. A passionate heart.  I need mavericks, dissidents, adventurers, outsiders and rebels who ask questions, bend the rules and take risks.  Nice people with common sense do not make interesting characters.  They only make good former spouses."
 ~ Isabel Allende from her TED talk 

xxx

7 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

With a wonderful convolution of technology, I download TED talks to my computer, transfer them to my phone, plug it into the MP3 socket of my car radio and listen to them to & from work. I will track this one down...

red dirt girl said...

Oh most excellent! Hope you enjoy!

xxx

J Cosmo Newbery said...

I did. Inspiring lady. Thank you.

goatman said...

I wonder if she is married?

red dirt girl said...

You're welcome :)

Yes, goatman, she's married to an American lawyer / author William Gordon. Her second marriage.

xxx

goatman said...

I guess the first guy was nice, with common sense . . . what horrible attributes!

goatman said...

And now a maverick lawyer. Each to her own I suggest.