423b2e
423b2e

7.09.2012

the what inspires me series ...




from Jane Hirshfield, poet:
"Awareness and self-consciousness are delicate matters. Trying to examine more deeply what poems are and how they work has informed my life and brought me great joy. I don't think that attentiveness ever diminishes experience. There are times, however, when you don't want to be self-conscious. One is while writing the first draft of a new poem. At that stage too much consciousness is limiting and therefore damaging. It can wall off the permeable, the mysterious, everything you don't already know.
When I write, I don't know what is going to emerge. I begin in a condition of complete unknowing, an utter nakedness of concept or goal. A word appears, another word appears, an image. It is a moving into mystery. Everything I am and know and have lived goes into a poem. I hope I'll never be governed by theoretical knowledge when I set out to write.
Poems are born in part from the history and culture of other poems, but in writing I hope to learn a new thing, something fresh about what's going on in that moment, in my own life and in the world. Craft consciousness is essential to the finished poem, but comes later."
xxx
via the beauty we love

3 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

I like that. A good approach.

goatman said...

Look away and see whats infront of you. Indeed . . .
Nice help

red dirt girl said...

Yes, I like this approach too. And I love Jane's poetry - it is indeed multi-layered and mystic at times.

Have stumbled upon a blog that is posting pieces of 'inspiration' from other poets ... I shall continue thieving from them!

xxx