423b2e
423b2e

7.21.2012

woolgathering




the Flammarian woodcut, 1888
 "What, then, is this blue (sky), which certainly does exist, and which veils from us the stars during the day?"
from L'Atmosphere: Meteorologie Populaire by Camille Flammarian


Goatman left me this comment over at red dirt girl:
"I like the idea of normalcy being supported and encouraged by an underlying reality. A metaphor for obvious life being backed up by the reality of feeling, fear, emotion, and the need to defend our beliefs."
And I thought it was a wonderful companion to this quote by Annie Dillard:
"In the deeps are the violence and terror of which psychology has warned us. But if you ride these monsters deeper down, if you drop with them farther over the world's rim, you find what our sciences cannot locate or name, the substrate, the ocean or matrix or ether which buoys the rest, which gives goodness its power for good, and evil its power for evil, the unified field: our complex and inexplicable caring for each other, and for our life together here. This is given. It is not learned."
via: whiskey river


xxx

7 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Beautifully deep.
Deeply beautiful.

soubriquet said...

What Annie Dillard says is total bollocks. Now I don't know who Annie Dillard is, but based on that quote I can tell you she's a loon.

red dirt girl said...

Why don't you tell me what you REALLY think, Soubriquet ...

xxx

Adullamite said...

I prefer the Sex Kitten myself....

red dirt girl said...

Ok. Thank you, Cosmo for being the open minded soul you are!

Soubry - aarrgghh! Do I have to explain the whys to everything I post? I like Annie Dillard. I read her book Teaching A Stone to Talk long ago. I confess, however, that I was unsuccessful at teaching my stone to talk ...

Adullamite - sex kitten or monsters ... sex kitten or monsters ... yeah, i'd agree - sex kitten!

xxx

goatman said...

As I read it she is just talking of the underlying flow which guides us all.
But she did go a long way down to describe it, I guess. But that's what poets sometimes do.

red dirt girl said...

Precisely, goatman!

xxx