423b2e
423b2e

8.13.2012

The Muse


an excerpt:  

There she was, for centuries,
the broad with the luscious tits, the secret
smile, a toga of translucent silk, cool
hand on the shoulder of the suffering
poet – the tease who made him
squeeze those great words out.  He
was the mirror and the lamp, she the torch
who burned with the blue butane of a pure
refusal, too good for mortal use; her breath
was cold as mountain streams, the chill
of the eternal – no hint of plaque
or any odor of decay.  Ethereal as hell,
a spirit in chiffon, the mystery is
how she had got so rounded in the butt
and all her better parts as soft as butter,
why such a wraith should be so ample,
what her endowments had to do
with that for which she set example –
all this was surely Mystery, oh that elusive
object of desire, that “untouch’d bride
of quietness,” that plump poetic dish
who lived on air but looked
as if she dined on pasta.

~ by Eleanor Wilner
from The Muse 

xxx

13 comments:

Relax Max said...

I too burn with the blue butane of pure refusal and dine on pasta. Do I 'muse you?

red dirt girl said...

I like to imagine my muse nude ... so if you'd move that sweet little red blankie aside for me ... hmmmm ....not feeling it, Max.

But, yes, you amuse AND frustrate. Maybe that's the perfect 'muse mix ??!!

xxx

Relax Max said...

Ah, well. Perhaps it is only propane with me. But what's a single carbon molecule between a poet and inspiration?

red dirt girl said...

INFJ, Max. You're a smart guy. I make judgments based upon my intuitive feelings ... not cool, rational logic. Appeal to my sensitive side if you want to 'muse me.

xxx

goatman said...

I'm thinking mine would have the scent of deep woods and be ethereal and changing. But maybe that would vary just to meet my mood, and encourage.

Oh no! Grover Norquist is on C-Span.
Pardon me whilst I re-compose myself. Ouch

J Cosmo Newbery said...

If there is one thing I have learned, it is muses don't come off the shelf, their particular power is intangible and irresistible.

Luscious tits are good but not essential.

red dirt girl said...

goatman ~ hahahaa... an ethereal muse with grover norquist as the follow-up??? that combination would make anyone wince! I've heard tales of grown men crying after being subjected to Norquist's rants...there, you've planted an image that won't leave my mind, now.

xxx

red dirt girl said...

oh Cosmo - you're not allowed to cogitate on the nature of muses. You, you who have successfully discovered the muses' particular pot of golden words and where their secret hide-out is located. Yes, you who drops in for a cup of tea or glass of wine, then leaves with a quickly dashed poem on a gilded napkin.

Next time you visit, please chastise my lazy muse for taking such a long holiday. Tell her it's back to work!

xxx

J Cosmo Newbery said...

How could I refuse...?

red dirt girl said...

:-)

xxx

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Had lunch with Fjay today (she works in the office next to mine) - we were wondering what you looked like...?

red dirt girl said...

Oh dear is my avatar not large enough??? I have a beautiful chestnut coat with long silky ears, fluttering eyelashes and a sweet white muzzle. I've been told my fetlocks are quite fetching .... :)

xxx

J Cosmo Newbery said...

:-)