423b2e
423b2e

9.04.2012

is it poetry ?



Sweet Tooth

 A little girl made of sugar and spice and everything nice was eaten by someone with a sweet tooth the size of an elephant’s tusk.
         Ah, he said, this darn tooth, it’s driving me nuts.

         Then another voice is heard. It’s the little girl’s father who says, have you seen a little girl made of sugar and spice and everything nice?--Incidentally, what’s that thing sticking out of your mouth like an elephant’s tusk?
         My sweet tooth, and it’s really driving me nuts.
         You ought to see a dentist.
         But he might want to pull it, and I don’t like people pulling at me. If they want to pull they should pull at their own pullables.
         So true, said the little girl’s father, people should pull at their own pullables and let other people's pullables alone. But still, he asked again, I wonder if you’ve seen a little girl made of sugar and spice and everything nice?

~ by Russell Edson
from The Tormented Mirror: Poems by Russell Edson 

xxx

10 comments:

Adullamite said...

There is a prison cell missing its occupant.......

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Cute. But not a poem as we know it, Jim. Ah...Lola.

soubriquet said...

So, there was a man, walking along with a steering wheel attached to the front of his trousers.
A passer-by said "Excuse me, but did you know there's a steering-wheel attached to the front of your trousers?"
"Yes", he replied, "It's driving me nuts."

soubriquet said...

Pretty much every part of my poem-appreciation circuits says "It's not a poem".

red dirt girl said...

ROFL, Aduallmite!! I'm imagining you saying that with a thick Scottish brogue ... even funnier !!

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Cosmo - Edson is considered the 'godfather of the prose poem in America' ...

... and (his) "poems are surreal and fablelike, sometimes resembling brief plays. Donald Hall has said of Edson’s poetry, 'It’s fanciful, it’s even funny—but his humor carries discomfort with it, like all serious humor.'"

a different genre altogether.

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Soub - 'ROBOFLOL' !!

xxx

rolling off bed onto floor laughing out loud

Li-Young Lee could never be so witty...

xxx

red dirt girl said...

I'm in agreement here. It's cute. It's weird. It's a bit uncomfortable (should I really be laughing?)

It's not a type of poetry that I'm naturally drawn to ... but I've read a few more of his prose poems, and they have a strange attraction.

More food for thought.


Thanks for the laughs, guys!
xxx

Relax Max said...

This is most likely the worst limerick I've ever read.

red dirt girl said...

Oh Max, you're priceless!

I'll be going to sleep with a smile on my face now.

xxx