423b2e
423b2e

10.22.2012

Life for me ain't been no crystal stair ...


Mother to Son

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor --
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now --
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

~ by Langston Hughes



















xxx

13 comments:

Alberto Granados said...

Really a beutiful post. Thanks.

AG

red dirt girl said...

Hi AG!! I thought I had lost you. Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment. As always, I am honored by your visit.

xxx

Adullamite said...

Great stairs, but do they go up or down....?

red dirt girl said...

Adullamite ~ what goes up, must go down ....

xxx

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Oh dear...

red dirt girl said...

Cosmo ~ c'mon you know this:

What goes up must come down
spinning wheel got to go round
Talking about your troubles it's a crying sin
Ride a painted pony
Let the spinning wheel spin


xxx

Frankie Jay said...

Stairs seem to be a bit of a theme at present.....
Some lovely photos and an inspirational poem.
Xx

Frankie Jay said...

Cosmo is more an opera and classical type I think....

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Yes, I know it but I stand by my first comment!

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Fjay: I am an atheist with a catholic taste. :-)

Lin said...

Everybody has a staircase....it just matters how you take them stairs.

Sweet poem today. LOVE it.

bulletholes said...

spacing was loppyjawed. Hell it ain';t that great anyway, but I havent been by in a while...
Last time I saw you
it could've been Christmas eve
it could've been someone's birthday
it could've been make believe
for all I know
it could've been make believe

last time I saw you
you had the room upstairs
I never knew for certain
what went on up there
no I never did know
what went on up there'

hi Red!

goatman said...

"Did you find
the directing sign
on the
straight and narrow highway

Would you mind a reflecting sign?
Just let it shine
within your mind
and show you
the colors that are real"

Now you've did it (as a friend from Detroit used to say). I had to thumb through three feet of album covers with that song roiling around in my head before realizing, we don't have any Blood Sweat and Tears -- I know not why.