423b2e
423b2e

12.02.2012

looking for alaska



"Just like that.  From a hundred miles an hour to asleep in a nanosecond. I wanted so badly to lie down next to her on the couch, to wrap my arms around her and sleep. Not fuck, like in those movies. Not even have sex. Just sleep together, in the most innocent sense of the phrase. But I lacked the courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane."

~ by John Green from Looking for Alaska

xxx

8 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Ooo! That touches a chord!

Frankie Jay said...

That is gorgeous imagery, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane. Another writer to look up :)
Xx

goatman said...

Nice imagery.
Did you read the whole book? Did you mark this passage in your book, for later?

Why is there air, Master?

bulletholes said...

Hahaha! They all are!

Lee said...

How wonderful that piece is!

Thank you. :)

red dirt girl said...

No, I haven't read the book. It is a work in the 'Young Adult' genre, and by its review, appears to be a 'coming of age for a young gawky male' type of novel.

I found the quote on a Tumblr full of bookish quotes, and I liked the poetic imagery. And especially the reference to drizzle and hurricanes. It reminded me of the song Hurricane by Kris Delmhorst (which I really really like).

I've been known to read YA, so I might pick this one up ...

Currently I'm sinking my teeth into my brand new copy of Madness, Rack, and Honey !!!

xxx

bulletholes said...

"coming of age for a young gawky male"...would that be like all my old Penthouse Forums?

red dirt girl said...

Oh you read those too?

I think the coming part is definitely on target ... ;P

xxx