423b2e
423b2e

12.08.2012

water angel



In golden July water
a water angel

whose wings
are two gigantic conches
joined
wherein rustle
the dreams of the drowned

just now
the water angel is hearing
a mermaid's confession

she is all in scales
like a golden pine cone

and I peeked once
at a drowned man
through my fault
through my fault
through my mermaidenly fault

at his loins too

yes

when was this

the april flood

and what else

I tried to persuade
the mare's carcass
rotting in the milldam
to have secret pleasures

and what did it do

bared its teeth in scorn

well you see
there is at least one
religious mare

and then what

I rubbed up against fish

how many times

529
bass
399
carp
and 42851
pike

are you out of your mind
mermaid
over forty thousand times

once when I was with a pike
I let my imagination run wild

thinking of a shark
O
you lustful thing
just you wait

here the angel
looks furtively at heaven
clouds cover
the sky

just you wait
you lustful thing
I think I'm going to have to
squeeze the devil
out of your breasts

~ by Jerzy Harasymowicz

translated by Victor Contoski
from Planting Beeches, 1975

xxx

6 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Hahaha! Who would have thought?

soubriquet said...

That Jerzy runs deep.
Post more, I want to hear his visions.

red dirt girl said...

the secret life of mermaids ....

xxx

J Cosmo Newbery said...

With pike!

goatman said...

A den of wanton intent, I tell you, a den of wanton intent. . .

red dirt girl said...

Nothing but the high moral ground here at Through the Gate ...

xxx