423b2e
423b2e

1.01.2013

2013



 adomania
n. the sense that the future is arriving ahead of schedule, that all those years with fanciful names like “2013” are bursting from their hypothetical cages into the arena of the present, furiously bucking the grip of your expectations while you lean and slip in your saddle, one hand reaching for reins, the other waving up high like a schoolkid who finally knows the answer to the question.

 énouement
n. the bittersweetness of having arrived here in the future, where you can finally get the answers to how things turn out in the real world—who your baby sister would become, what your friends would end up doing, where your choices would lead you, exactly when you’d lose the people you took for granted—which is priceless intel that you instinctively want to share with anybody who hadn’t already made the journey, as if there was some part of you who had volunteered to stay behind, who was still stationed at a forgotten outpost somewhere in the past, who was still eagerly awaiting news from the front.

via: the dictionary of obscure sorrows 

rdg:  I'm a huge lover of words and, especially, the art of the portmanteau.  I have recently discovered The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows, a tumblr full of portmanteaux:  exquisite words and their unique, creative definitions. 

Saying good-bye and hello in a split second between this year and last (or speaking to your beloved who is residing a full 6 hours into your future, in a year different from your own) is bittersweet.  We recap the moments that mattered most.  We try to forget the moments that hurt the most.  Because, in the end, how you respond to the events in your world shape how you think and feel on a daily basis.  Happiness is a choice tends to be overused and rightly cliche'd.  But we DO choose a response to our world moment by moment even if it is instinctual or reactionary or a well planned consideration. 

I am pessimistic by instinct and hopeful by choice.  I am fortunate that those I call friend, here and in my life, are people who view 'the glass half full' .... all face life's misfortunes and sorrows and disappointments with equanimity and a very human mix of fear, respect and a certain mental toughness.  You, my dear friends, are those who 'overcome' - and remind me often to be happy in the moment, to look for the small blessings in my daily life, to be grateful and to persevere.  So I thank you, my friends and genuinely wish you a clean slate of a new year.  Here is the page.  You are the pen.  The story is yours to write.  I look forward to the reading.

with love,
rdg
xxx

10 comments:

Mametz said...

Happy New Year

Be blessed in the New Year, and if you feel like it, pick up that pen and let the inspiration flow.

Your poetry has inspired me and is truly beautiful and enchanting.

Be Blessed RDG for you are a blessing to me.

Alan

J Cosmo Newbery said...

You have a fascinating and fantastic year ahead of you. Savour it all, share it all. We will watch and cheer from the stalls!

Lee said...

Wonderful words; thought-provoking sentiments.

A time to ponder; a time to reflect; and a time to regain hope and a time to rekindle dreams.

I hope 2013 treats you fairly and kindly, red dirt girl. And having that opportunity to always see six hours into your future...is worth holding on to! When finally you two are together...you won't have that ability! ;)

red dirt girl said...

I get by with a little help from my friends ...

thank you.
xxx

gz said...

Your comment on my blog is humbling.

Your choice of poems and images inspires me. I found you by chance, and also Soub...then found that I first met him in 1987(? think that was the year) in Aberystwyth.

The pair of you help me too, and I'm wishing the both of you the best this year.
Good health, happiness and enough wealth.
Bright Blessings Be
xx

bulletholes said...

Happy New Year Red!
great site! I'll get some mileage out of it for sure!

goatman said...

A Beatles fan afterall . . .

red dirt girl said...

gz - xxx! You are the inspiration. So glad we found each other :-)

cowboy - hahaaa ... I KNEW someone out there would find it as equally fascinating as I do.

goatman - Always. Though admittedly I was a toddler in their heyday. My kids love the Beatles too. Timeless they are.

xxx

Adullamite said...

Wot's all this 'half full' lark?
'Half empty surely?'

I know your 2013 will be a good year RDG, and I wish you to make the most of it! xx

red dirt girl said...

Hi Adullamite ~ ahhh, a kindred half empty soul :-)

Thank you for your kind words. Hopefully all of my blogging friends will have a blessed 2013, especially you!

xxx