423b2e
423b2e

2.09.2013

the good girl



You are stupid when it comes to cliffs,
always standing too close, disaster on your breath

like booze. The liquor ad’s subliminal curl of smoke,
a sword or skull warped in the glass’s warm glow—

these are aimed at you. Death is a bit bloodying
your soft mouth, a jockey lashing

your flanks to ribbons. You go for it every
time: the boys who could have been sweet if only;

the highball; the exhilarating leap, thoughtless
of landing. Your mouth opens on the glass’s

mouth in a soul kiss again and again. Are you playing
chicken? You seem to expect something from an ending

besides the end, order another spur to the ribs,
neat, just to see what it’s like, just for kicks.

What you forget, in the thrilling salt and lime of death’s bite,
is that you are good. You forget you would die.


~ by erinn batykefer
from Allegheny, Monongahela

xxx

3 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Not wise to forget that.
Not wise to remember it sometimes, either.

soubriquet said...

Free Falling:
She's a good girl, loves her mama Loves Jesus and America too
She's a good girl, crazy 'bout Elvis Loves horses and her boyfriend too

It's a long day livin' in Reseda There's a freeway runnin' through the yard
And I'm a bad boy, 'cause I don't even miss her
I'm a bad boy for breakin' her heart
And I'm free, I'm free fallin'

All the vampires walkin' through the valley
Move west down Ventura Blvd
And all the bad boys are standing in the shadows
All the good girls are home with broken hearts
And I'm free, I'm free fallin'

I wanna glide down over Mulholland
I wanna write her name in the sky
I wanna free fall out into nothin' Gonna leave this world for awhile
And I'm free, I'm free fallin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i18nSZBgOfs

red dirt girl said...

good girls get broken hearts.
bad girls don't care.

xxx