423b2e
423b2e

3.23.2013

Sufferin' succotash!


the ONLY cat I've ever loved


Sylvester the Cat, affectionately known as Puddy Tat, made his debut in Friz Freleng's Life With Feathers (1945).  Freleng's 1947 cartoon Tweetie Pie was the first pairing of Tweety and Sylvester.  Sylvester appeared in 103 cartoons in the golden age.

Perhaps Sylvester's most developed role is in a series of Robert McKimson-directed shorts, in which the character is a hapless mouse-catching instructor to his dubious son, Sylvester Junior, with the "mouse" being a powerful baby kangaroo which he constantly mistakes for a "king-size mouse". His alternately confident and bewildered episodes bring his son to shame, while Sylvester himself is reduced to nervous breakdowns.

Mel Blanc is the voice behind the lisp.


I always found Tweety Bird to be annoyingly smug.  And I always root for the underdog cat!

xxx

9 comments:

gz said...

Hooray for cats!!
Even ones with a lithp!!

Adullamite said...

Love it!
Proper cartoons!

J Cosmo Newbery said...

An underdog cat? Do you want to reconsider that?

red dirt girl said...

Umm, the dog part is supposed to be struck through ... doesn't show up too well. So yeah, I'll keep it.

xxx

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Um. OK. If I squint carefully I can see it.

Lee said...

That looks like Remy, my male cat. I almost called him "Sylvester" when I got him as a just-short-of-six-week old kitten...but I named him "Remy"...Remy Martin George to his closest and most dearest admirer...me!

red dirt girl said...

Our eyes aren't getting any younger, are they ??!!

xxx

red dirt girl said...

That's a great name for a cat, Lee !!

xxx

Lee said...

Yes, I think it is, RDG...his sister's name is "Shama"...named after the Shaman, and pronounced similarly...without the "n", of course!

Her full title is...Princess Shama Lee! ;)