423b2e
423b2e

4.23.2013

national poetry month


Romanesque Arches

Inside the huge romanesque church the tourists jostled in the half
darkness.
Vault gaped behind vault, no complete view.
A few candle-flames flickered.
An angel with no face embraced me
and whispered through my whole body:
"Don't be ashamed of being human, be proud!
Behind you vault opens behind vault endlessly.
You will never be complete, that's how it's meant to be."
Blind with tears
I was pushed out on the sun-seething piazza
together with Mr and Mrs Jones, Mr Tanaka and Signora Sabatini
and inside them all vault opened behind vault endlessly.

~ Tomas Transtromer
from New Collected Poems
translated by Robin Fulton

xxx

9 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

It's the old skeletons in my vaulted crypt that are giving me grief...

Jerry E Beuterbaugh said...

No
I cannot outdo J. Cosmo's comment
For it just too prominent
So I'll retreat to my shadow
And wait for time without fallow

soubriquet said...

Umm... well being a literalist. I um... well the arches... the arches in the pic? um...Gothic. Definitely gothic.
Not romanesque.

red dirt girl said...

I'm banging my head against the wall like Charlie Brown ...

geesh you guys !!!

xxx

red dirt girl said...

ps. the arches are NOW romanesque.

goatman said...


I'll bet there were flying buttresses involved.

I thought you might happen upon the poetry month. I told a gal at our bank and she thought I had said "national poultry month". Such is living in the farmlands.

red dirt girl said...

They were, goatman.
I'm a sucker for a pretty flying buttress.

I've been remiss concerning national poetry month. I had intended to post a poem a day. For the month.

Oh the best laid plans of mice and men ...

and such.

I've been orbiting in a different universe lately, and have lost sense of my own one.

xxx

Lee said...

Sometimes I wish Mr and Mrs Jones, Mr Tanaka and Signora Sabatini would just go away and let me enjoy the solitude of the vault in peace!

red dirt girl said...

Hahahaaa, Lee.
I hear you!

xxx