423b2e
423b2e

5.01.2013

air mail



On the hunt for a letter box
I took the letter through the city.
In the big forest of stone and concrete
the straying butterfly flickered.

The flying-carpet of the stamp
the staggering lines of the address
plus my own sealed truth
soaring now over the ocean.

The Atlantic's creeping silver.
The cloud-banks.  The fishing-boat
like a spat-out olive stone.
And the pale scars of the wakes.

Down here work goes slowly.
I ogle the clock often.
The tree-shadows are black ciphers
in the greedy silence.

The truth's there, on the ground
but no one dares to take it.
The truth's there, on the street.
No one makes it his own.


~ by Tomas Transtromer
from New Collected Poems
trans. by Robin Fulton

xxx

8 comments:

Lee said...

It's still so nice to get a hand-written letter delivered to one's mail box...I believe.

Jerry E Beuterbaugh said...

Does Soub know you have "someone" in Sweden?

red dirt girl said...

Oh indeed, Lee! I think I've received only one handwritten letter in the last 4+ years ... it's a dying art, alas :((

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Jerry! you do love to stir the pot, don't you :P

Actually it was Soub who brought Tomas to me (the book) and provided the first translation of Airmail. Did you know Soub lived in Scandinavia in the eighties?

For more, see:

http://throughthegate09.blogspot.com/2013/03/tomas-transtromer.html

xxx

Jerry E Beuterbaugh said...

No, I did not know that Soub had spent some time in Scandinavia, but it could sure explain a lot... Although, I suppose Amsterdam is not considered a part of Scandinavia, but it sure is awfully close!

Speaking of stirring the pot, we have snow on the ground around here this morning. So, please get a pot of chili going. Oh, and I prefer mine with beans (brown or pinto beans, to be exact).

red dirt girl said...

Hate to disappoint, Jerry (well not really) but COOKING is one job I do not do. Soub is the chef in this family. I attempt to do clean-up in gratitude.

xxx

red dirt girl said...

ps. And if you know Texas like you
say you do, then you know
Texas Chili has NO BEANS. EVER.
just sayin'....

xxx

Jerry E Beuterbaugh said...

Sorry, I should have specified that I was ordering up a pot of New Mexican chili, with beef and beans. For if one wants to get plumb technical about it, authentic Mexican chili is really just a soup made from chili peppers, which is rather intolerable to my delicate features. Now, with that cleared up, get Soub to cookin'! (Oh, and please tell him to leave his shoes and socks on.)