423b2e
423b2e

6.17.2013

lana del rey


 "Blue Jeans"


Lana Del Rey has been getting heavy rotation on my playlist this summer.  I don't know anything about her, having discovered her browsing through YouTube (yes, Soub, I did say "YouTube").  She has an interesting 'retro' vibe as seen in her videos for "Burning Desire" and "Young and Beautiful." When I listen to her songs, I often feel I am sitting through a performance art piece.  I'm not sure why... in part because her songs are interesting narratives that seem to be plucked out of larger stories.  Her vocal style is quirky ...... she sings 'torch song' husky in "Burning Desire"and swings high in "This is What Makes Us Girls."  Throw in spoken lyrics, whispered or defiant, add lush orchestral productions, retro film clips, a surprising lyric (Love you more than those bitches before) or two and you've got ..... Lana Del Rey ~ a "self-styled gangsta Nancy Sinatra."  (thank you, Wiki)   AND she's quite easy on the eyes as well ;-)

I'm posting "Blue Jeans" because I love the images in this video.  Filmed in black and white, it's a mix of James Dean, tattoos,  Southern California with a '60's vibe and a somewhat scary looking crocodile tail (haven't figured that part out, yet.)  When he slips two fingers into her mouth .... HOT, HOT, HOT.  Thank heavens most of the video is filmed in water.  I need a cold shower!!

A few of my Lana Del Rey favs:
"This is what makes us girls.  
We all look for heaven and we put our love first.  
Somethin' that we'd die for, it's a curse.  
Don't cry about it, don't cry about it."

"I'm in his favorite sun dress
Watching me get undressed
Take that body downtown

I say, "You the bestest."
Lean in for a big kiss
Put his favorite perfume on.

Go play a video game."

"Will you still love me
When I'm no longer young and beautiful?
Will you still love me
When I got nothing but my aching soul?
I know you will, I know you will
I know that you will
Will you still love me when I'm no longer beautiful?"

"Every Saturday night I seem to come alive for you, baby
Santa Monica, I'm racing in the lights for you, baby
I drive fast, radio blares, have to touch myself to pretend you're there
Your hands were on my hips, your name is on my lips
Over over again, like my only prayer
(Come on, tell me boy)"
Mmmm ........ you boys are going to tell me these are girly songs.  And you're right.  Lana torches male / female relationships.  However, Lana is not pop fluff.  And I dare you not to watch.
Enjoy!

xxx

ps.  Can't wait to hear her cover of Leonard Cohen's Chelsea Hotel #2 and the song she's written for her third album, Body Electric, inspired by her love of ....... yes, Walt Whitman.

16 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

A most startling voice.

bulletholes said...

Very sexy Red, good for making out!

Jerry E Beuterbaugh said...

Yes, the song was most enjoyable to listen to, and the video was mesmerizing.

Lin said...

It reminded me of Chris Isaac's "wicked game" a lot. Very sexy.

SL said...

Very nice! Both the song and the video. I have heard of her but have never heard her. This makes me want to hear more. Glad you are back RDG!

red dirt girl said...

Oh you guys played the video :P ~ yeah!!

Yes she has a very unusual voice. If you listen to Burning Desire, you will hear her singing in a much lower vocal range. Critics are trying to 'classify' her sound, which to me is akin to putting a box around a tiger. She's different and uniquely her own from her vocal styling, her lyrical ability to how and what she thinks about the 'music industry' (she's cynical for someone so young.)

So true cowboy ~ great making out music .... but not so satisfying when its only my pillow I'm hugging :/ ...

Chris Isaac !! Oh yes, that's it!! I LOVE Wicked Game. It was the first CD I ever bought ... back when buying a music CD was considered 'high tech' and 'cutting edge' ....!

Mmmmm .... very sexy ;)
xxx

red dirt girl said...

Hey SL !! We were both posting comments here in tandem. I was especially thinking of you when I listened to This is What Makes Us Girls. I can 'hear' it on the soundtrack for the movie version of Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects. How is the reading going, btw? Looking forward to our own personal 'book club' chat when you finish :-) It's good to be back. My life is still an emotional storm, but blogging reminds me to stay grounded. Missed you.

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Is anybody else reminded of Tarantino's Kill Bill at the first beat drop?

xxx

Frankie Jay said...

Video Games is the song that's been on high rotation here (radio and my iPod). Great voice.

goatman said...

I hope his tats don't dissolve ( had to say that!)

She reminds me a bit of Alanis Morisette, at least on this song.

Lee said...

One of her songs is used in the soundtrack of Baz Luhrmann's "The Great Gatsby".

red dirt girl said...

Hi fjay! I should have known that you were ahead of the game here - I DO live under a rock and rarely listen to the radio / watch TV. So I tend to fall behind on what's happening. I love Video Games too. She 'threw' the video together by searching vintage home movie clips on YouTube and splicing them together. She posted it on YouTube as a sort of what if ... whatever ... and it became a huge hit! Her video was nominated for best video of the year in one of those award shows.

What's funny is when interviewed about the nomination, she said the video wasn't anything special. She was broke and worked with what she had. In fact if she had had the money it would have been a completely different visual for her. Success meant she had to hunt down all the owners of the original home movie clips on YouTube and get their permission to use them. I love her 'whatever' irreverent take on her success.

xxx


red dirt girl said...

LOL goatman !! you and Soub..... that tatted guy is HOT. Just saying...

Alanis Morisette for a new generation. I love alanis, natch. Until she fell in love and got HAPPY :).. Lana does tend to write 'melancholy songs' ... I think she writes what she knows considering her first stint in rehab for alcoholism was at the young age of 14.

She wanted to be a poet before all this 'success' happened for her.

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Hi Lee! Indeed - it's the one entitled "Young and Beautiful" that I've linked to in the post.

She co-wrote it with Baz. The video is definitely all 'Hollywood' ..!

Haven't seen the latest version of The Great Gatsby. My daughter has and loved it. I'm feeling my age as many of this summer's hits are re-makes of movies I watched in my teens and 20's.

Love her voice.
xxx

goatman said...

Speaking of the Gatsbys' we resaw an old one recently. Seems to me that Redford appeared lost and confused throughout (supposed to be lovelorn for his old flame Daisy but he just came off as pathetic). No real characterization, but maybe that was supposed to be his character but I doubt that was the intent.
Seems also I saw that Alan Ladd played the first Gatsby. Can that be so?

red dirt girl said...

I remember seeing the one with Robert Redford. It was not a favorite of mine. Personally I think of Redford as a much more successful director than actor. Don't get me wrong, he's definitely eye candy and looks great in film, but it is his directed movies that I remember and love: The Milagro Beanfield War, Ordinary People, A River Runs Through It (personal fav), Quiz Show and more ...!

Yes, Alan Ladd in the 1949 version, Warner Baxter in the silent 1926 version; and Toby Stephens in the 2000 television re-make. (thanks to Wiki)

Also from Wiki - apparently Fitzgerald's classic was not well received and he'd died never knowing what an American classic it would become.

These days everyone seems to get their 15 seconds of fame ... for a lot less effort.
xxx