423b2e
423b2e

8.28.2013

change of season

 
 
 
In my own worst seasons I’ve come back from the colorless world of despair by forcing myself to look hard, for a long time, at a single glorious thing: a flame of red geranium outside my bedroom window. And then another: my daughter in a yellow dress. And another: the perfect outline of a full, dark sphere behind the crescent moon. Until I learned to be in love with my life again. Like a stroke victim retraining new parts of the brain to grasp lost skills, I have taught myself joy, over and over again.
—  ~ Barbara Kingsolver,  High Tide In Tucson: Essays From Now Or Never
 xxx


                     

7 comments:

Dave Renfro said...

This might work for a while but then you will have to do it again, and again after that. It's what we do.

red dirt girl said...

Yes, you are right, Dave. It is a cycle we spiral through: up and down and up ...

Hi Dave!
xxx

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Desperately need some of that.

SL said...

Aw, so true and so lovely. Saw something the other day.... "Emerging from an abyss, and re-entering it-that is life, is it not dear?" Emily Dickinson

Hi RDG!

Adullamite said...

Reading this blog is a joy I find.

soubriquet said...

I read Barbara Kingsolver's book, 'Flight Behaviour', in a tent, in a meadow, in Usk, South Wales, earlier this year. She writes like a poet.
Her character sees despair. And survives. As we do.

Next time I see one of her books (14 to date) I'll buy it.

Lee said...

I think we're having a change of season here...I have my doubts, though. Our winter has been extremely mild!