423b2e
423b2e

9.02.2013

carol ann duffy



Words, Wide Night

Somewhere on the other side of this wide night
and the distance between us, I am thinking of you.
The room is turning slowly away from the moon.

This is pleasurable. Or shall I cross that out and say
it is sad? In one of the tenses I singing*
an impossible song of desire that you cannot hear.

La lala la. See? I close my eyes and imagine the dark hills I would have 
to cross to reach you. For I am in love with you

and this is what it is like or what it is like in words. 

~ by Carol Ann Duffy
from "The Other Country" (1990) 
xxx


*Poet deliberately left the verb tense ambiguous here.

5 comments:

Lee said...

Beautiful....that's all I have to say....

bulletholes said...

I really liked the first part, but couldnt figure the second part so I rewrote it. Is that OK to do?
But that didnt help it much, and somewhere during that exercise the second part made better sense to me.
And I like it!

red dirt girl said...

Thank you, Lee.
The poem apparently left its intended recipient unmoved and unimpressed ...(I guess I won no points for making the effort ??!)

Cowboy!
I loved your re-write. Post it here in the comments. It's beautiful, and it is perfectly OK TO MESS WITH FAMOUS POET'S POEMS ... ;P

xxx

bulletholes said...

Somewhere on the other side of this wide night
(it seems like a long ways)
and the distance between us
(You are very close)
I am thinking of you.
(But I’m always thinking of you)
The room is turning slowly away from the moon.
(How is it the more we turn away the closer we get?)

This is pleasurable.
(That explains everything)
Or shall I cross that out and say
it is sad? In one of the tenses I singing*
(have sung, sing now, will sing, )
an impossible song of desire that you cannot hear.
(let me whisper in your ear then)

La lala la. See?
(see how simple is my song)
I close my eyes and imagine the dark hills I would have
(I would do it, yes)
to cross to reach you. For I am in love with you
(have loved, am loving, will love)

and this is what it is like or what it is like in words.
(I like to show you what its like indeed)

There it is. All personal to me now. If I point from where I sit, she's less than about a mile. But the gulf between us is huge, not because we don't love each other, but because we just ...cant. not out loud.
So the way I see this poem is kinds upside down from your view, isn't it?

red dirt girl said...

Upside down but right side up when you look at the big picture.

I love the way you've made this your own, in your unique voice. It's poignant and lovely.

Well done, cowboy/poet.

xxx