423b2e
423b2e

11.06.2013

coming up for air ...


the happy couple





Ok. I've searched the net for something poetic to say about marriage.  Or something funny.  Or something that somewhat parallels what I am feeling and loving and doing.  But nothing reads right or rings true.  My life is brimming with moments but lacking in words to describe it.  This is as close to living in the moment as a red dirt girl can get. Bliss will do.  Oh, and he told me to say he's a great guy.  Which is true.  He IS a great guy.  And I'm happy and sleep deprived and working too many hours at work and somewhat overwhelmed with starting a new life that comes ready made with kids, a grumpy gaseous dog and an ex-husband who is almost always an ass (and I'm writing this sentence in Soub's POV because I was already overwhelmed by all of the above BEFORE the wedding vows were spoken.)  But I promised to 'obey' and he endowed all his worldly goods to me (and promised to worship me with his body which made my kids gasp in horror - but I thought it was so sexy.  Indeed it was so sexy that 'obey' popped out of my mouth before I could stop it.)

And that kind of sums up the ceremony along with pics of my oh-so-now I'm 21 and mature - son who posed repeatedly for the camera sitting in the judge's chair with his gavel pointed at an imaginary defendant.  Which explains why for every one photo of Soub and me there are at least four of my kids clowning around in the judge's chambers.  Sigh.  I suppose I should have hired a wedding photographer. 

Speaking of wedding pics, Soub and I have decided to not post any on our blogs.  At least for now.  Basically, the pics are making the rounds of friends and family and co-workers:  people we love and care about but do not necessarily wish to have as readers of our blogs. Soub's container load of worldly goods arrived today.  It contained a very cool Land Rover along with a particularly fine antique desk and a windsor chair made by his, umm, grandfather, I think.  So I am definitely quite happy with my end of the endowment bargain.  But I can't speak for him.  He's asleep next to me.

And, actually, that's the best part about being married:  he's here, sleeping next to me.

xxx

10 comments:

gz said...

That IS the best bit...just snuggling up and sleeping knowing that he is there
xx

goatman said...

My girl Virginia just said that you were a good writer. . . I knew that!

And, judging by your graceful handling of lets say, "inconsistent" bloggers over the years, you have the give and take nature which leaves room for for a partner in life.

SL said...

Happy to hear from you, happy the vows have been exchanged, happy you are both settling into your new life together....really just happy for you!!

Adullamite said...

Tsk! You only wanted his Landrover!

So nice to read this.

Lee said...

About bloody time! I was about to send in an oxygen tank!

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Lin said...

Happy new life together! So sweet to hear you are having so much fun. Wish you the best!

bulletholes said...

Yay! "Worship you with my body"...I'm going to get some mileage out of that one!

soubriquet said...

I knew Bulletholes was a heathen.
Let me quote unto him the Book of Common Prayer, 1662.

If no impediment be alleged, then shall the Curate say unto the Man,

N. wilt thou have this woman to thy wedded wife, to live together after God's ordinance in the holy estate of Matrimony? Wilt thou love her, comfort her, honour, and keep her, in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all other, keep thee only unto her, so long as ye both shall live?

The Man shall answer,

I will.

Then shall the Priest say unto the Woman,

N. wilt thou have this man to thy wedded husband, to live together after God's ordinance in the holy estate of Matrimony? Wilt thou obey him, and serve him, love, honour, and keep him, in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all other, keep thee only unto him, so long as ye both shall live?

The Woman shall answer,
I will.

Then shall the Minister say,

Who giveth this woman to be married to this man?

Then shall they give their troth to each other in this manner.

The Minister, receiving the Woman at her father's or friend's hands, shall cause the Man with his right hand to take the Woman by her right hand, and to say after him as followeth.

I N. take thee N. to my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I plight thee my troth.

Then shall they loose their hands; and the Woman, with her right hand taking the Man by his right hand, shall likewise say after the Minister,

I N. take thee N. to my wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, cherish, and to obey, till death us do part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I give thee my troth.

Then shall they again loose their hands; and the Man shall give unto the Woman a Ring, laying the same upon the book with the accustomed duty to the Priest and Clerk. And the Priest, taking the Ring, shall deliver it unto the Man, to put it upon the fourth finger of the Woman's left hand. And the Man holding the Ring there, and taught by the Priest, shall say,

With this ring I thee wed, with my body I thee worship, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow: In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

In my case, I'm not so sure of the existence of the father, son, and holy ghost, but otherwise, to me, the vows make sense.

Minx said...

Lovely news, so very happy that you finally got it together!

Much love for a long and happy life together xxxxx