423b2e
423b2e

4.24.2014

mary oliver


Perseid Meteor Shower Flagstaff Arizona by Logan Brumm

"Walking to Oak-Head Pond, and Thinking of the Ponds I Will Visit in the Next Days and Weeks"

What is so utterly invisible
as tomorrow?
Not love,
not the wind,
not the inside of stone.
Not anything.
And yet, how often I'm fooled-
I'm wading along
in the sunlight-
and I'm sure I can see the fields and the ponds shining
days ahead-
I can see the light spilling
like a shower of meteors
into next week's trees,
and I plan to be there soon-
and, so far, I am
just that lucky,
my legs splashing
over the edge of darkness,
my heart on fire.
I don't know where
such certainty comes from-
the brave flesh
or the theater of the mind-
but if I had to guess
I would say that only
what the soul is supposed to be
could send us forth
with such cheer
as even the leaf must wear
as it unfurls
its fragrant body, and shines
against the hard possibility of stoppage-
which, day after day,
before such brisk, corpuscular belief,
shudders, and gives way.

~ Mary Oliver from What Do We Know:  Poems and Prose Poems 
Da Capo Press 2002

xxx
for goatman and meteor scoffers
xxx


11 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

I was curious to see how 'corpuscular' would work but it did.

A scientist's objection - there are no meteors in that illustration. But it is a good illustration.

goatman said...


Anyone who sees that leaves unfurl rather than just popping out in full expression, as some uninformed souls may believe, is a friend of mine.

Adullamite said...

Something wrong there, I enjoyed that!

red dirt girl said...

Cosmo! You and Soub... (she shakes her head sadly); have you no imagination?? I see meteors in my head.

(maybe my blood pressure is too high at the moment)

xxx

(Soub is sitting right here and insisting that I say you both are right. However, it's my blog and I can say what I want to etc. etc.)

hahahaaaaaaaaa

red dirt girl said...

Oh goatman - that was the line that I loved as well ... if it wasn't going to be (non) meteors, it was going to be an unfurling leaf ... Might still be!

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Adullamite - hahaaa! Does this indicate a softening of your wee craggy heart towards poetry?? Soub says you recently referred to him as your favorite Englishman, and as such, indicated that perhaps one day the two of you are going to run off together ..??!!

Glad you enjoyed.
xxx

Adullamite said...

Favourite Englishman maybe, but we never went to Public School!

Lin said...

Mary Oliver rocks. She just does. I keep her poetry books on my nightstand and I like to sometimes just read a few lines before I go to sleep.

red dirt girl said...

Hahaha ... Adullamite! (I did have to clarify the 'public' and 'private' school thing with Soub, first.

Lin! Mary is definitely nightstand worthy. I have 2 books of hers. Think I might need to expand my Mary Oliver library!

xxx

bulletholes said...

I've gotten to where I can spot her from the first line a lot of times. i think she may appear more than anyone in my little FB notebooks.

Adullamite said...

Are you still alive?
If not please give forwarding address.