423b2e
423b2e

11.18.2014

For Adullamite .....the Lone Surviving Reader




At Blackwater Pond

You know how it feels,
wanting to walk into
the rain and disappear-
wanting to feel your life 
brighten and grow weightless
as a leaf in the fall.
And sometimes, for a moment,
you feel it beginning - the sense
of escape sharp as a knife-blade
hangs over the dark field
of your body, and your soul
waits just under the skin
to leap away over the water.
But the blade,
at the last minute, hesitates
and does not fall,
and the body does not open,
an you are what you are - 
trapped, heavy and visible
under the rain, only your vision
delicate as old leaves skimming
over the mounds of the seasons,
the limits of everything,
the few shaped bones of time.

~ Mary Oliver from Twelve Moons, 1972
xxx

12 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

How are things for you guys? You may have more than just one reader ;)

Adullamite said...

I think I understand.

Lee said...

Hey! I'm still alive and reading...still kicking!

red dirt girl said...

ok ok, i should have added 'who leaves comments asking why i am not posting'. you are right to blame the 'man' because he now steals all my good ideas :) Seriously, we are good. Soub is still recovering from his shoulder surgery so not throwing pots yet. I'm gearing up for holiday retail madness - have been putting in long hours at the store. the weather is positively wintry - quite a change for our clime! all in all i have no complaints other than the usual: i am asking santa for a fatter wallet and slimmer waistline (not the other way 'round ...)

xxx

Dave Renfro said...

Howdy!

Adullamite said...

Whatever, you look fantastic!

Lin said...

Uh...hello?! Who is the big Mary Oliver fan amongst the remaining reader(s)???! MEEEEEE!

It's good to see a post from ya.

alan1704 said...

When are we going read some Red Dirt Girl Poetry, you really should put pen to paper, you are very talented. This sad old world needs a RDG perspective.

red dirt girl said...

Where is the 'Like' button???

xxx

bulletholes said...

Hi Red! I still stop in. You should post more. I been posting a lot!
And I love Mary Oliver!

Adullamite said...

Happy Christmas sweet young thing!

goatman said...


Exhale •

Going through it
The long duration of dark
The cold winter night
The silent day
When will I know my reason
When can I enter into peaceful solitude
Life is but a blink of the eye
A bat of the lash
If you want to know
I'm chasing the wind
And will soon be mown down
By the sharp blade
Come on spring
Make me new again
I set and wait for both
Anonymous

I don't now why someone would write this and not take credit . . . beats me!
What is with the "blade" metaphors?