423b2e
423b2e

6.22.2015

the cult of choosing




This is the sign I hang on my laptop cover when I'm slouched on the sofa, fluffy blanket pulled up to my chin because I like to keep the house 'meat locker cold' during these hot Houston summer nights, and I'm busy pinning on my Pinterest boards.  Oh, sorry, I meant CURATING my online AGGREGATION of tattooed men, drowning women and strange bunnies; Images that declare me INTERESTING, HIP, CREATIVE and WITH-IT ... (umm, maybe 'with-it' is a term past its prime?) 

Regardless of the WORDING, I claim my place in this brave new world of online curation.  I have evolved beyond blogging's infant days when my posts were rambling TL;DR (too long; didn't read) dissertations on my boring life and its mundane detailia (get it - detail +ia = hip new with-it word?) to become a DISCERNING COLLECTOR with an eye for what's TRENDING in the .... umm..... CURATING world. 

And I am FREED!  Freed from my abject self absorption. Liberated from digressions, rhetorical suppositions, LONG FORM writing and  poetry -- EEK, POEMS! -- to focus my CREATIVE endeavors on VISUAL POETRY.  Yes, my blogging friends, blogging as you once knew it, daresay still archaically practice in some instances, is DEAD. Dead, dead, dead. Thank you Tumblr. Thank you FB. Thank you Pinterest.  

Let me assure you my friends that CURATING is no easy feat, no slouch for the couch potato.  Oh NO.  CURATING is a SERIOUS business with TREACHERY, THIEVERY, and RULES of conduct that are more intricate than the geisha's tea ceremony.  Why I tell you, I have been LOCKED out of SEVERAL pinners' CURATORS' boards for my bold pilfering AGGREGATING of stolen  VISUALS. I've been accused of INFRINGING on their AESTHETIC without due CREDIT and respect for their CAREFULLY CURATED COLLECTIONS. I have been unfairly warned by the Pinterest Governing Body to PLAY NICE and STUDY (long arduous considering hours of itty bitty tiny text) the ETIQUETTE of pinning curating lest I be BANNED from the internet's new CUTTING EDGE. 

Friends, what I am doing is IMPORTANT.  Yes, IMPORTANT! I am curating a CAREFULLY CONSIDERED SOCIAL ARCHIVE of the 21st CENTURY.  Why, my COLLECTIONS are NO LESS IMPORTANT than STONEHENGE itself.  Future generations will CONSIDER the pathology symbology of my f**ed up mind CREATIVE VISION.  And wonder.  Yes, wonder.  And possibly weep at its banality beauty.  

Of course, I shall have to go now and pin curate this post ...


xxx

17 comments:

Adullamite said...

I liked the old one in spite of the poetry.....

This one reflects your deep intellect and insight.
It also made me laugh!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

OH THAT bunny :)

red dirt girl said...

Well, Adullamite, I knew you were wondering what I was doing instead of blogging .... :) Happy it made you laugh. It had me rolling on the sofa under my blankie laughing! xxx

red dirt girl said...

Hi Gary!! Thank you for reading. The wonders of Pinterest where we can find THOSE BUNNIES. Sigh, how did I live without it all these years ???

xxx

goatman said...



And there you go: "live it or live with it".

gz said...

I love your blogging....that's all xx

red dirt girl said...

Goatman - hahahaa! You are the master of pithy. xxx

red dirt girl said...

gz - Aren't you sweet! Actually I wrote this because I'm pretty fed up with the 2 second sound bites of FB; the endless "Likes" (if my sister sends me ONE more FB message about why I am not LIKING her endless stream of selfies...) and meaningless 'curations' of tumblr, pinterest etc. I miss blogging. But blogging seems to be dying. Gone are the days when those TL;DR dissertions were windows opening into different worlds, different minds, different views of life and living. Blog posts were funny, sad, witty, banal, always intriguing with real life people attached - not REAL LOOK AT MY COOL LIFE people that today's social media promotes. Don't get me wrong, I know FB has its place for keeping in touch with friends and family, but it is not a forum for considering, pondering, reflecting or writing. And it's like living in the middle of Times Square with all those gigantic television screens broadcasting your life. I prefer the shadowed recesses of living under my blog. I'm losing my creative spirit and ability to focus and am longing for the community of bloggers. Alas, a community that is dwindling. My lament ....

xxx

red dirt girl said...

Oh and because the use of "Curating" to describe pinning images onto boards is truly the pinnacle of the absurd. What have we become ...

alan1704 said...

I though FB was a place where you could impress the world with your perfect life and show off you award winning children, your new TV. The world is a donkey and I am an ass, :) Please, please write some more poetry if only for a dying dinosaur like me. Long nay us word dragons reign.

bulletholes said...

Well, while you have been off doing all the non blogger stuff, I have still managed to post up 100 a year for the last two years. The month of May was slow for me, but I'll make 100 again this year. Some of them have even been not bad.
But you are right. The days of following a dozen different blogs, making the rounds and leaving comments seems to be over for me.

red dirt girl said...

Alan - you have a face :) Oh if only poetic words would swim to the surface for me. But I'm grateful that word dragons such as yourself still exist in the nether reaches of the internet. Keep encouraging me to write, stay off of FB, contemplate and read others poems. My spirit needs renewal.
xxx

red dirt girl said...

Cowboy! You are a WORD GOD. I bow down to your proliferation. But our merry band of blog travelers is no more. And that makes me sad.

xxx

Dave Renfro said...

My blog died the day I started running, or at least the day I posted my first race report. I haven't been able to write since. I still have ideas and work them out in my mind, but I don't think I could ever type one out. It's sad.

Lee said...

I'll remain old-fashioned; old hat; boring or whatever other description - and I shall, without remorse or apology...remain a blogger!

And I hate tattoos on men and on women.

Long reign the blogger! Long reign the poet! Long reign the writer!!! :)

e said...

Well, I still blog, and leave comments and get replies and write...and I haven't forsaken the format for Facebook...Interestingly, those who get fed up with Facebook always seem to migrate back to Blogger or Wordpress...

Long time no see. I hope you are well. Judging from this post, humor, mind and wit are all intact, which I am happy to see.

Cheers!

Adullamite said...

It's been a month since this blog war scrawled upon.
WHY?